Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.antonnutrition.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Whole Gourmet Natural Cooking

Alison Anton's Natural Cooking Blog offers healthy recipes, inspirational food articles and culinary advice for the natural chef, and features dessert recipes from her upcoming cookbook, Desserts for Every Body.

Thursday, June 07, 2007

Kid's Health - Hemp Milkshakes!

with Meg Harpool

I recently questioned myself (as parents often do) while selecting a box of hemp milk from the shelf of my local health food store. Before I serve my children this so called “foundation food”, I felt the need to do a bit of research. Since both hemp and marijuana are cultivated from the cannabis sativa plant, are hemp seeds really a good choice for my kids?

I found that hemp seeds are not only safe to consume, but that they are one of the plant kingdom's most concentrated, complete and balanced sources of all 8 Essential Amino Acids (complete protein) and Omega-3 and Omega-6 Essential Fatty Acids (good fats). They also contain key nutrients, minerals and live enzymes - all beneficial for growing little bodies.

After my investigation on this wonderful little seed, it was time to do the taste test. I mixed some hemp milk, frozen peaches, plain yogurt, and a splash of maple syrup in a blender and placed it in front of my girls. They both loved it. It is such a nice feeling when a healthy after school snack goes over well... and no... they didn't even hallucinate!

RECIPE:
Hemp Milkshake - This high-protein shake makes a perfectly healthy after school snack, a cool delight to beat the heat, or a light dessert to end a summer day...

2 Comments:

At 5:16 PM , Blogger ~Jaime said...

What a *wonderful* website you have going here! I love your meal ideas and plan on trying them out!

As for the hemp, my kids are allergic to soy, dairy, and glutens, so hemp milk is a good alternative. My kids love the chocolate! (so do I) :0)

I look forward to more posts!!!

 
At 6:34 AM , Blogger Alison Anton said...

My husband and I also love almond milk. Almond Breeze brand makes an unsweetened variety - it's very low in sugars and makes nice, creamy smoothies! Although nuts are high on the list for allergies, it is another great alternative to dairy and soy, and even to rice milk, which is high in carbohydrates.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

-->