Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.antonnutrition.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Whole Gourmet Natural Cooking

Alison Anton's Natural Cooking Blog offers healthy recipes, inspirational food articles and culinary advice for the natural chef, and features dessert recipes from her upcoming cookbook, Desserts for Every Body.

Saturday, July 14, 2007

Cherries and Cherry Recipes

Is there anyone who doesn't know it's cherry season? Walking into the farmers' market last weekend, I saw a herd of people crowding around one small booth. "What are they selling?" As I approached, I saw the pretty white bags brimming over with bright, little, red fruits.

Since cherries are too fragile and perishable to import, they are one of the few fruits that are truly "seasonal". The growing season for cherries is a short one as well - they're only really good from June through late July. This makes cherries an awfully nostalgic summertime fruit, and enthusiasm is always high.

Cherry Recipes:
Cherry Coconut Clafouti
Spinach and Smoked Turkey Salad with Fresh Cherries

Sign up for Alison's Natural Cooking eletter!

On a nutritional level, cherries, especially the sour varieties, are alkalizing in nature are known to reduce acids in the body. They have significant levels of vitamin C and the B vitamins, as well as minerals to help us get through these hot summer days. Their bright red color indicates that they are exploding with beta-carotene, which turns to vitamin A in the body.

You'll find only a few varieties of cherries available at the markets: Bings and lamberts have the dark, mohogany-colored skins - bings are the big ones, lamberts are the small, heart-shaped ones. Both have a sweet, rich flavor and make them the most popular at the markets. But don't pass over the rainiers; they're my favorite. Rainiers have a marbled skin that consumers pass on as unripe. They have a delicate, sweet flavor and may be perfect for kids or adults who turn their noses up at the overpowering cherry-ness of the other varieties.

Cherry trees are high on the list for sprayed fruits. Buy organic if you can.

2 Comments:

At 10:59 AM , Blogger ~Jaime said...

I saw this recipe and purchased the ingredients last night...I can't wait to try it! (of course, mine will be the gluten, soy and dairy-free version...so we will see how it turns out!)

If you get a chance, please visit my blog where I will make it and put it to the "test" (the kids tastes - lol!):

http://glutenfreemomma.blogspot.com

 
At 11:08 AM , Blogger Erin said...

This is a really cute blog! I have been looking around a lot more for food blogs since I started one, and I really like your layout. The cherry recipe looks killer. I have been enjoying cherries by the fistful!

(I also noticed you have a typo: It currently says "Rigister" for my eLetter. I thought you might want to know :)

skinnygourmet.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

-->